So one day, way back when, I was talking about trying to shape up and lose a few “LBs.” A lady who I had been chatting with suggested cutting out green beans because they are a legume and not a vegetable. Come again? I’m pretty sure that killed me considering any of her advice from that point on. I don’t even really like green beans that much. However, in a world where we are surrounded by greasy “meals” and high sugar snacks, saying fresh green beans are a no-no just seems…criminal.
A while ago, I shared with you what I did with some fresh green beans from the farmers market. Because green beans are just ok to me, it is no surprise that the rest of my beans were getting close to unusable in my fridge. Then I had an epiphany!
I had a few ham bones chilling in the freezer from Easter. Why not crockpot the beans with one of the bones!?!
Yummy!! Ok, so I added a few more ingredients along the way. I really enjoyed these green beans and actually looked forward to leftovers the next day.
Of course, I decided to add even more after I took the picture. This is sort of one of those recipes you need to make to your own liking. I was interested in the green beans for me and just a little potato but I put extra potato in for my husband.
Here is what I used:
fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half (I used about 2 1/2-3 cups, that is a ginormous measuring cup they are in, don’t be fooled)
potatoes, (I scrubbed skins and left them on for extra fiber), cut into slices
salt and pepper, to taste
broth, I used chicken
and minced garlic 1-2 cloves
1. Throw green beans, onion, potatoes and garlic into cold crock pot. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Arrange ham bone on top.
3. Fill crockpot with broth until green beans and potatoes are about covered.
4. Cook on whatever heat works best for you. I cooked mine all day on low heat.
5. Before serving remove bone and be sure to look thoroughly for any little bone or really fatty bits, remove them.
6. Serve using slotted spoon. (sorry not sure what is going on with my spacing at the moment…:) )