My husband is building us a campfire in the backyard but I had to quickly share this dish!
At first I was worried my husband would categorize this dish as too healthy. Yup, apparently things can taste too healthy. Good news is that not only did it not get put on the healthy list but we both totally enjoyed it! If you’re a fan of white sauce dishes, I think you’ll find this really likable. If not you should try it anyways because it is that good!
Even after two pictures of ingredients, I ended up adding addition items so pay attention to the list. Here is what you’ll need:
one package of chicken sausage (I used Aidells apple flavor), sliced thinly
one red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 box of penne pasta, mine was 13.25 oz
2 cloves garlic, minced
5-6 fresh basil leaves, chopped or tore up (I removed the stems)
goat cheese, 4 oz, slice it into chunks
salt and pepper
little bit of water from noodles reserved
1. In a pot, cook penne according to box. Remember to reserve a bit of the water before draining.
2. In a large, deep sided skillet, mist with olive oil and bring skillet to medium-high heat.
3. Toss in garlic and work around in pan for a few seconds. Be careful not to burn your garlic or everything will taste like crapola.
4. Add in onion and bell pepper.
5. After pepper and onion begins to soften, add in sausage. I cooked mine until the outside looked like it was browning up a bit.
6. Turn heat down to medium-low. Take cooked pasta and toss it into sausage mixture. Add in all of the goat cheese.
7. Add about 1 1/2-2 tbsp olive oil. Mix everything. Add in a tbsp of water at a time and continue to mix until cheese melts into a creamy coating. (I’m thinking about 1/4 cup water at most should do it.)
8. Season mixture with salt, pepper, cayenne and nutmeg and toss in basil. Be easy on cayenne and even easier on nutmeg and taste before adding more, you can alway add more but much harder to take away, also burning you tongue on the cayenne probably would suck!
Off to swat mosquitos and resist eating an entire box worth of s’mores!! Hope you have a great weekend!